One of the upgrades we planned to do when purchasing our smaller home was replacing the carport with a metal building. It would need to be large enough to park our truck in and have space for storage and tools. I know this sounds like we are not really downsizing, but the truck would not fit in the garage, and we still needed a good portion of the tools for our remodeling projects. After we finish removing non-needed items, a part of the metal building will be used as a workshop.
Before having the metal building, or what we now call the Upper Garage, built we had to remove the carport from the new building site and have a concrete pad poured.
Actually, prior to doing either of these, we researched different companies that install the metal buildings, which we like to call carports with sides. We decided on Tri State Carports. They had the options we wanted and pricing was competitive. (We are NOT receiving anything for this recommendation, it is our opinion, based on our experience.)
We were not especially thrilled with the prospect of removing the carport and put it off as long as possible. We were busy with other remodeling projects and knew we would get it done when the concrete pad was scheduled. Also, we were using it to park our car, because there was no way to get it into the garage. One side was storing our stuff and the other was being used to paint kitchen cabinets. (More on the kitchen project later)
We hired the same company that had done concrete work for us at our previous home, K & K Concrete. They are local and we were happy with the previous job. They were pretty busy and agreed to work our small job into their schedule. Due to a very rainy spring, it took several weeks before our pad was scheduled.
If we were only removing the carport, this would have been a different project. We would have just disassembled it, and taken the metal to the recycling center or called the neighborhood guy that picks up scrap metal.
We had a different plan. We wanted to keep it as intact as possible and relocate it to another part of our property to be used as a pavilion.
Here is a picture before the move:
Prior to actually starting the move, we were trying to determine if we could move it ourselves, or if we needed to get help from as many strong guys as we knew and carry it to a temporary spot. The final spot we wanted was not quite ready. While talking to another neighbor about the metal building and concrete pad and wanting to move the carport and how we could do it, he suggested we borrow the 18 foot flat-bed trailer from our next door neighbor. And that is what we did.
On a hot Saturday at the end of July, the two of us started to move the carport. It was 10 am. We planned to use the flat-bed trailer to transport it. We just needed to get it on there. The poles were marked to match back to the top and bottom supports for reassembly, then the screws were removed from the support poles that connect to the roof of the carport. Using an engine hoist (yes, we have one), Andy started at one end of the carport, and raised it up enough to start removing the poles. We removed 4 poles, leaving the 4 corners and a center pole on each side to support the weight. I am not saying this was easy. Sometimes, the engine hoist slipped off the roof support and hit the roof. Luckily, we didn’t have any punctures in the roof. Some of the poles were more stubborn than others and took some coaxing with a mallet to loosen.
Here it is with one side pole on each side and the corner poles left. This picture was taken around 1:30 pm. We took a short lunch break after we got to this point.
Next, Andy backed the trailer into the carport. We couldn’t lower the roof onto the rails around the bed of the trailer because the roof would then touch the ground and we couldn’t pull it.
Andy had an idea. Using boards we already had from another project, he made platforms for the roof supports to rest on. This was done by screwing two 2x2x12 boards together. Starting at one end, and placing the hoist in the middle, we slowly raised the carport, and removed the corner poles. Then the hoist was moved along the carport to the next support. Raising the carport, the next supports were removed. Slowly, the hoist was then lowered until the roof support closest to the corner rested on the wooden supports. From this picture, you can see the supports on the boards and that the far corner poles are still touching the ground.
Here Andy is getting the other board support in place and ready to remove the final posts.
At last the carport was on the trailer and ready to transport to the other side of the yard. Well, almost ready. First several ties were attached to keep it in place. Andy pulled it onto the street and around to the front side of the property to the driveway that is used for the RV.
Here it is being backed into a clearing until we are ready to put it up again. This picture was taken at 3:20 pm. A little over 5 hours after we started. I must admit that I had my doubts the two of us could do this by ourselves and was very pleased when we were finished. The carport stayed on the trailer until mid-February. Will share about getting it up again in another post.
.Here is the driveway without the carport.
A little over a week later, the pad was poured.
The next week, the metal building was built. They started in the evening, and came back and finished up the next morning.
The completed Upper Garage!